An Experience of Culture Shock - Momoka

I came to New Zealand and experienced several culture shocks. The most shocking of these was related to greetings. The first greeting custom that surprised me was that most people say ‘Thank you’ when they get off a bus. Another surprising thing was greeting strangers on the street. When I was going back home, someone said ‘Hello’ to me. At that time, I was discombobulated and could not return the greeting. Also, I noticed that many people greet each other in school. 

To be honest, when I was in Japan, I was not used to greeting people. I had not seen many Japanese people say ‘Thank you’ when getting off a bus, I was not suddenly greeted by strangers on the street, and I just bowed to my teachers when I met them at my university. As a result of this, I felt tense about greeting people at first in New Zealand. I only greeted some people when they greeted me first. However, I gradually became accustomed to greeting others and started trying to be the first to say ‘Hello’ instead of waiting for a greeting from someone. Therefore, I don’t feel very nervous about it now.

In my opinion, it is a good custom to greet each other. Thanks to this custom, I feel more motivated, and it raises my spirits. Also, greeting is a good way to make friends. After I say ‘Hi’ to people, I expand the conversation and can get along with them. So, I would like to keep on this custom even when I go back to Japan.

Comments

  1. I love about greeting in New Zealand as well. People are very nice here. I grad you like to start greeting other people and not nervous to do it. :3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang