An Experience of Culture Shock -- Anny

Im from China and I came to the University of Otago as a visiting scholar in April this year. It is my first time in New Zealand. During the last three months, I have experienced a lot of culture shocks, such as wearing short shorts or short-sleeved shirts even in winter, very cheap milk, rare and expensive vegetables, high electricity bills, extremely strict rubbish sorting, widely used e-books, and so on. What shocked me the most was a bus ride experience when I just arrived in Dunedin---the bus won't stop If you don't wave or press the stop button. 

It goes without saying that the bus stops at every stop in China. Passengers who want to take the bus dont need to wave, and it isnt required to press any button when passengers intend to get off the bus. In addition, the bus will announce the name of each stop in advance. So it perplexed me very much when the bus sped through the bus stop while I had been waiting for it for nearly half an hour in the George Street, Dunedin. I asked one passer-by and she told me it is necessary to wave to the bus driver if Id like to get on the bus. I finally got on the bus and found there were few passengers on it. But unfortunately, I missed my stop because I didnt press the stop button when I realized I should get off. 

It was an unpleasant experience for me. Later, I formed a habit of checking the route  and locating the destination on my phone in advance when I went out to take the bus. Although this kind of culture shock is not difficult to deal with, the important thing is that I have learned lessons from it. Its necessary to learn the rules of living in a new country and take the time to learn the language, behaviour and customs.

Comments

  1. Hi Anny👋 I felt sorry for you when I read your sharing, what an unpleasant experience :( Every cultural difference that you listed is all relatable to me. But don't you agree that those differences are our new lessons which help broaden our mind a lot? ^^ And it is always interesting to get to know the new culture, isn't it? Love your sharing 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I quite agree with you. To some extent, experiencing culture shock makes our lives richer and more colorful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang