An Experience of Culture Shock -- Toko

 I have been spending in New Zealand for about 4 months, and the most shocking thing was most New Zealanders often greet in a bus. When they get on a bus, they often greet the bus driver. For example, “good morning” “hello”. And when they get off a bus, they often say “thank you” or sometimes “have a good day” or “have a good night”.

I really like this culture in which greet each other even to strangers. However, we don’t have this kind of culture in Japan, so it was tough for me to adopt to this culture. At the begging of this study abroad, I often forgot to say “thank you”, and to make matters worse, even if I was greeted by a bus driver when I got on a bus, I used to respond in very foolish way. For example, when I was asked “How are you?” by a bus driver, I responded “Thank you”. It doesn’t a conversation anymore! Because even if I was asked “How are you?” I responded “Thank you”.

                 I wanted to have a regular conversation with a bus driver, so to achieve it, I told to myself “I can have a regular conversation... I can do it...” because I am likely to get nervous.

                 Now, I can have a normal conversation with a bus driver. If I am asked a question from a bus driver such as “How are you?” I can answer like “Good, thank you.” I can tell how I feel to the bus driver. I get used to greetings on a bus, and I manage to be confident.

                To adopt to this culture, it tool about 1 month for me. I still respon stupidly by mistake at times, but I almost get used to this culture.

                

Comments

  1. Hi Toko👋 Yess me too, I love the bus greeting culture here. Moreover, I quite understand you when the bus driver ask "how are you", I used to give silly answer, I didn't say "thank you" when they friendly greeted me, I felt bad :( But now I'm getting better at it, I always tell myself what to say in my head so I can naturally respond to the driver 😅 Love your sharingg ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I also love this culture, but still now I can’t greet unknown Japanese people because I’m very shy, but I need to overcome this.
    Yusuke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your situation. I wanna introduce this greeting in Japan. You can say How's it going? to bus driver in Japan😂 Thank you verymuch for 4 months. I was excited to take class with you,Toko. See you in Japan someday♡

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang