An Experience of Culture Shock - Mion

This essay is going to talk about my personal experiences of culture shock in New Zealand. First of all, I definitely think what shocked me the most was the food, especially its made by host mother and host father. For the first two weeks when I came here, I thought that the food was really different to that I was used to in Japan and I didn't want to eat foods that was honestly made by them. Of course I understood that it's not the same and similar culture of food, but it made me feel terrible and I also got a fever unfortunately. The food they make was healthy and tasty like homemade pizza, fish and chips or mince pie. But at first they didn't suit my body because it was so different from Japanese food. So I talked to them and asked them to make Japanese food as much as possible to help me get over my culture shock. Then they started making Japanese food for me once or twice a week. My favourites are Japanese pancakes, fried rice and sushi. Thanks to their behaviour, I could get over it in about two weeks, so eating every day became the best part of my study abroad.  

I was able to experience this culture shock in a foreign country and through this experience I learnt the importance of expressing my opinion for someone. I didn't have a high level of English, but I was able to communicate with my host family. I also knew how much food my body needs.

Comments

  1. I know it's hard when we want to eat something like hometown because sometime I want to eat Thai food as well. But I'm grad you try to communicate with host family and express your opinion!.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang