An Experience of Culture Shock - Cathy

In October 2023, I began my studies abroad in New Zealand, a completely new country which I had never visited before. Initially, I encountered many obstacles such as navigating to school, using public transportation, dealing with various types of documentation, opening a bank account, finding directions, and adapting to different weather conditions. Most significantly, I had to face every problem by myself. Although there was a lot of difficulties, I managed to cope with the situation well. However, one problem which I have been struggling with until now is getting used to cold weather.

Personally, I think cold weather either partly or mostly contributes to my daily struggles. In Vietnam, my home country, the weather is hot throughout the year, so I did not have to care much about what to consider before going out. However, it is the opposite when I am in New Zealand. The overall temperature is always lower than in Vietnam, and the weather here is hard to expect, it can be rainy, windy and sunny or all three in a day. At the beginning, it took me quite a while to realize that the cold was hindering me from doing daily tasks and studying normally.

But thanks to the experience with this new weather type, I have learnt to prepare more for the unpredictable weather, and to find ways to stay warm and focused. For example, layering clothing or wearing a beanie, which I have never done before. Moreover, the whole new experience in a host country alone has taught me resilience and adaptability. Although it was quite difficult for me at first, I am thankful that I had this cultural adjustment opportunity which contributed to my personal growth.

Comments

  1. Some friends got frostbite on their toes because it was so cold.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang