Clubs Day Debrief -- Cathy

I was so excited to go to the Clubs Day on the 18th July. Back then, I had never been to any event like clubs day, which made me more curious about what would be there, how would everything work, etc. Moreover, I thought that I had enough confidence or good English to communicate with people at the Clubs Day, in other words, I thought I was well-prepared, but it turned out that the practical was so much harder😓. Thankfully, yesterday I had Toko and Hana supported me a lot, which I really appreciated. 

When we first arrived, I kinda felt overwhelmed by how big and imposing, how crowded and busy the event was. Therefore, I got really scared and anxious to talk, or even to walk around alone. I told Toko and Hana that I wanted to see the Dance Club, we passed by there for a couple of times, but because of my fear, we didn't stop to ask for more information. "It is always hard to make the first step", I thought that time. It was so nice of Toko that she told me she would talk to the club first, and then I could ask my questions. We also brainstormed and prepared what we would do when we interacted with the club. Everything went well then, and the club members were enthusiastic and friendly that they informed me about activities in the club, time, classes, special events,... I learned that it is important to stay calm, to know what you are going to do, and the most important is to be brave, be confident.

Later, three of us just browsed. Suddenly, a man came and talked to us. It was like a small talk, he asked us where we were from, why we were here, how long we had stay in New Zealand, and how we felt about the Clubs Day so far, then he gave us a bookmark as a gift. Oh a surprising thing was he introduced himself as a Parliament member 😲. 

Even though I didn't communicate much in the Clubs Day, but for me, it was a chance to reflect myself, my weaknesses in communication. I had no intention to join any club this year, but I surely will next year or the following year. Moreover, one thing that I was grateful was I had a chance to get to know more about Hana, who I rarely talked in class. 



Comments

  1. It was so much fun to spend that time with you and Hana! I hope your next year's club will be enjoyable and great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for letting me join to you and Toko. If I was alone, I couldn't talk to anyone. I think you asked question and more information a lot, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also nervous at the first, so I couldn't talk to them very much. However, it was good for you to have a chat with them! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good opportunity for you to visited Clubs Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a good job and learned a lot from this experience. It's pretty cool that you met the parliament member.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was good opportunities to participate in clubs day because it’s a chance to communicate with other classmates who we rarely talk with in classes. Yusuke

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really enjoyed the clubs day and lunch which smelled good. It's good that you felt and learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your English is very good. Enjoy you life at University of Otago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps the moral of the story here is that there is strength & encouragement to be found in the 'moral support' of friends. So glad to hear how you overcome your fears "with a little help from your friends." Keep putting yourself out there. David :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did very well Cathly. I'm understand your feeling. I know you'll get trough this. Glad you enjoyed the Club Days :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was good time and great one steap for you wasn't it! I also was nureves and I could realise it is important to refrect myself from your essay again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang