Today, I learned about searching for information. The particular interest were “Basic Boolean Operators”. I didn’t know that I can use “AND”, “OR”or “NOT”when I research something in the site. Also, I didn’t know that “Quotation Marks” and “Truncation” are useful for research. We will give a presentation in a group in few weeks, so I think these strategies are useful for research and they help us to gather reference material.
We visited the university library. The person who is named Amanda explained details hoe to use the library and as result of this I thought I would be able to find a book that could be more useful for my own lerning. In addition, there are a lot of kinds of libraly in here. I thought I would like to visit there. Amanda's speaking style was very interesting and easy to listen. Besides, her dogs were so cute. The library also has rooms for groups and, of course, spaces for small groups. I would also like to find a book that I can use.
Almost every Thursday, we have opportunities to learn outside of the classroom. I enjoy this kind of learning, which bring fresh elements and practical knowledge. Today we visited Robertson library, one of the University of Otago libraries. The subject librarian Amanda Hutchinson gave us a speech on‘Introduction to Academic research’. Her presentation was concise and to the point, which made me feel that English literature retrieval was no longer as difficult as I had thought. Of course, I need more practice. What the presentation impressed me are the subject guides and search strategies. It’s the most important thing to make good use of library resources for academic research. I hope I will be proficient in searching and utilizing the English literature in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment