An Experience of Culture Shock - Andrew

 

An Experience of Culture Shock

 

When I first arrived in Dunedin, I felt a big culture shock because of the slow administrative procedures. In South Korea, everything happens quickly and efficiently. However, in Dunedin, it was hard to set up basic utilities like the internet, gas, and electricity. The process took much longer than I expected, and it was frustrating.

After a year, I moved to a new house and had to get my bond refund. Even though I sent emails and made phone calls, it took a month to get my money back. This slow pace surprised me, but when I talked to people, they said it was normal. This was very different from Korea, where things are handled quickly.

Adjusting to this slower pace of life was difficult. It taught me a lot about patience and adapting to new environments. While it was frustrating at times, it was also a valuable learning experience. I realized that different cultures have their own ways of doing things. It is important to learn from each other's strengths and weaknesses. This culture shock helped me understand the importance of being flexible and open-minded and to appreciate the diversity of different cultural approaches.



Comments

  1. I’m pretty sure that the culture in Japan and Korea is a little bit similar from the perspective of how quickly the problem is solved. I suppose that these differences are caused by whether the cultures are monochronic or polychronic.
    Yusuke

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ideal School: My Vision -- Riko

Pandemics of the Past -- A Reflection

Jimmy Huang